Meet Your Advisor – Arturo Zavala

You hear a lot from us on this blog, and we wanted to give you the chance to meet other advisors in our office and across campus. So every once in a while we’ll spotlight someone new.

Today meet Arturo Zavala – the newest addition to the  Office of Academic Advising. Arturo works with all students and is fluent in Spanish.  We asked Arturo some questions and here’s what he had to say:

academic advisor Arturo Zavala

1. Why do you like working at the University of Oregon?

I love meeting and talking with students.  I like hearing their stories and how they see the world.   Every journey is unique. I see my job as helping students shape and discover new worlds and identities.  It reminds me that you are never too old to learn or to be passionate about a dream.

2. What was a memorable turning point in your own education?

Two points come to mind.  In fifth grade, my teacher, Mrs. Buck rewarded  me with a book when I helped in her the classroom. That totally changed the way I thought about books.  After high school, I got a fulltime job working at a cabinet shop because I enjoyed working with wood.  After only eight months I realized that just because you enjoying doing something, that doesn’t mean you’ll enjoy it as a career.  So, I went back to school.

3. What do you do when you are not advising?

I’m a professional mariachi musician on the weekends. I love to eat and cook, so I frequent the local restaurants and markets.  I enjoy hiking, especially with my two pugs, Indie and Ozzie.  On sunny days I love walking around campus or stretching out on the lawn and reading a book.  On rainy days I like to check out new exhibits at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.